[Xymon] Feature request for log test

Johan Sjöberg Johan.Sjoberg at deltamanagement.se
Mon May 9 11:31:24 CEST 2011

Hi.
We have a syslog server which receives logs from a number of servers and network devices.
Currently we use the log test in Xymon to check for errors in these logs, and it works fine. But it is a little blunt since all log test end up in the same msgs test. It could also be a problem if we get an error in one log file, and need to ack or disable the test. In this case we would not get any alert if there were errors in one of the other logs.
It would have been nice if you could add a client definition to a logfile test in analysis.conf, and report each log file as the device which is originates from. Or maybe as a separate syslog test to distinguish it from the msgs test.
This way we could also set up individual alerts for the different logged devices.
I could, of course, write a client- or serverside script for this, but I always find it difficult to do good log monitoring scripts and it would be nice to be able to use the logic already in Xymon

What do you think? Would anyone else be interested in this feature? I also have no idea how much work it would be.

/Johan