[Xymon] Hobbit Permission Problem

Adam Goryachev adam at websitemanagers.com.au
Thu Mar 31 03:16:28 CEST 2011

On 31/03/2011 11:32 AM, David Baldwin wrote:
> Have you check the mount options, and try doing 'fsck' on the file system?

sorry to say, but you win

The problem was that this is a NFS root system, ie, the entire
filesystem is mounted via NFS, and the uid and gid of the hobbit user
was different between the NFS client and the NFS server. However, during
NFS file requests, only the UID/GID is transmitted or used to determine
whether access is granted or denied...

Thank you all for your help on this, I had forgotten about this little
peculiarity (NFS) as I'm so used to working on the systems all the time
as if they are normal stand-alone systems...

Apologies for wasting everyone's time too...

Regards,
Adam