[Xymon] Comment on Flapping

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 04:54:25 CEST 2011

First, let me say that this is very nifty.
Flap detection makes folks look at things that they might have missed.

It's driving the NOC folks **nuts** though. Acking the reds should
stop them from paging, but the main page then stays red for a full
half hour, even though the problem is completely fixed. IMHO it would
be very useful to have a "release" or "ALL CLEAR"  button of some sort
for flapping situations that have been dealt with. The NOC folks  hate
red screens...
(it would be even MORE useful to have a release button that only some
folks could push...is there any seekrit workaround?)

In our case we have a bit of a cascade situation, where one server can
trigger a lot of secondary reds, so we end up looking at a whole lot
of red...

thanks Betsy