[Xymon] Newbie: some alerts not firing

Root, Paul Paul.Root at qwest.com
Thu Mar 24 14:47:17 CET 2011

Well first, if you are using wildcards in hostnames, you need a % before it.

HOST=%db* EXHOST=%*db*

Second, if you want to see what the alerts is supposed to do, use hobbitd_alert. Oh, wait, 4.3.0, I guess that would be xymond_alert to test. Should be found in ~/server/bin

 xymond_alert --test <hostname> <test>

I generally pipe that to grep -v Failed just to cut down on extraneous output. There are plenty of parameters for it, so read the man page. --duration is useful, etc.

Personally, I've moved away from wildcard hostnames. Sometimes it seems inconsistant to me.

Paul.

Paul Root
Lead Internet Systems Eng
Qwest Network Services