[Xymon] LFS support check failed for standard file support - xymon 3.0

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:31:33 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Henrik Størner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I have comment this behavior before to Henrik. (Yes the problem arises for
>> sdt and large fs support).
>> The script expects some different numbers that the program output.
>> For example on Solaris 10 32bits the last number that program returns is
>> the maximum value for an int so is 32,767 and the negative sign; as I talked
>> to Henrik looks to me an endiannes issue about that calculation (I guess).
>> Since the value on Solaris Sparc (64bits) is really different.
>> ---
>> Since I modify the lfs.sh script to let the installation continue I have
>> no invest time to really diagnose/correct the issue.
>
> what worries me somewhat is that the behaviour on this platform (Solaris 10
> x86) violates the specs for large file support that were published by Sun!
>
> http://www.sun.com/software/whitepapers/wp-largefiles/largefiles.pdf
>
> It quite clearly states in section 2.6.3 that
>
> "In this environment, all xxx() source interfaces will map to xxx64() calls
> in the resulting binary. This facility also ensures that POSIX data types
> will be defined to be the correct size (i.e. off_t will be typedef’d to be a
> long long 64-bit entity). A program compiled in this environment will be
> able to use the xxx() source interfaces to access large files rather than
> having to explicitly utilize the transitional xxx64() interface calls. In
> this environment, a program can only use xxx() which manipulates both small
> and large files.
> Setting _FILE_OFFSET_BITS to 64 before including any system headers
> enables 64-bit interfaces."
>
> So when you compile a program with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64, it should provide
> a 64-bit off_t variable, and the test program should work.
>
> But it gives me a 32-bit off_t variable, and prints out rubbish when trying
> to print the off_t value (something that is quite OK, and is in fact
> described by the same document: The correct formatting string for a 64-bit
> off_t if "%lld", which is what the test program uses when compiled in LFS
> mode).
>
> So I cannot conclude anything other than that the compilation environment
> doesn't provide working support for large files.

I am guessing because this sol 10 x86 is running as a guest OS on
virtualbox 4.0.4 running on ubuntu maverick

I were able to compile xymon 4.3.0 on another solaris 10 x86, physical
host, with older gcc. (gcc version 3.4.3) just fine

Thanks for all your help

> Regards,
> Henrik

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?