[Xymon] Reversing the effects of a 'bb 127.0.0.1 "drop HOSTNAME TEST"' command

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Mar 3 21:28:50 CET 2011

Den 03-03-2011 18:46, Jonathan B. Horen skrev:

> I guess I didn't express myself correctly. I need the tests to restart,
> not to have a green status-LED place-holder.
>
> At this point, I've:
>
>     * stopped xymon on the server
>     * stopped xymon on the three affected clients
>     * copied all of $XYMON/data/{hist,hostdata,hostlogs,rrd} from my
>       last backup to $XYMON/data
>     * started xymon on the server
>     * started xymon on the three affected clients
>
> No joy. The LEDs for cpu, disk, files, memory, msgs, ports, and procs on
> the three affected hosts remain missing.

Your clients are not sending data to the Xymon server. If they did,
then the cpu, disk etc. statuses would show up right away.

> On each of the affected clients,
> $XYMON/tmp/{hobbit_vmstat.biotech.nnn,msg.biotech.txt) exist and are
> updated regularly (@5-minute intervals).
>
> So, what's wrong on the server? Why isn't the information being
> generated-and-displayed on bb.html?

Check the "Reports->Ghost clients" display to see if the hosts are
reporting with another name than what's in the hosts.cfg / bb-hosts
file.

And check the logfiles on the clients to see if there are problems
sending data over to the Xymon server.