[xymon] Forbidden : You don't have permission to access /xymon/index.html on this server.

Xymon User in Richmond hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Wed Jan 19 18:41:30 CET 2011

On Wed, January 19, 2011 11:23, Jayanta Kundu wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>

> How can I give read permission to apache user?
>
> My “www” and “web” folder is present in the path “/home/xymon/server/www”

Offhand I'd say to put the apache user in the xymon group if you have such
problems.  But since a default Xymon install will normally have the
permissions at 755 for folders and 644 for files in the Xymon www and cgi
directories, the perms have apparently been mucked with on your system,
perhaps the ownership as well.  In a normal install, in my experience,
apache would be able to read everything without any permission
adjustments.

> If find apache from root then following output I got:
>
> /usr/sbin/apachectl

You mean, like "find / -name 'apache*'"?  It's not clear how that would
have any bearing on the discussion.

> [root at RHEL5 sbin]# pwd
>
> /usr/sbin
>
> [root at RHEL5 sbin]# ls -lrt apachectl
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3916 Jul 15  2009 apachectl

Yep, that's what it looks like on my systems, too.  Your point?