[xymon] working CONT configuration was: IIS 6.0: No status change to CONT requests

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Jan 7 12:46:17 CET 2011

In <OF84B0188B.8C796088-ONC125780F.004A4B8E-C125780F.004E3BCF at kreis-steinfurt.de> "Hermann-Josef Beckers" <hj.beckers at kreis-steinfurt.de> writes:

>Can someone help me to a working CONT-configuration?

>What I have: A working system with hosts grouped according to function,
>separated in hosts.cfg by page and include directives.

>I would like to add cont tests to a few hosts. If I put them in the same
>include file where the server is first defined, it works. But the displayed
>table gets quite wide. So I put those cont test in an additional file

Bad idea. You can have hosts defined multiple times in the hosts.cfg
(bb-hosts) file, but you MUST keep all of the network tests in one
place - all of the others should be "0.0.0.0 hostname # noconn".

You should have heeded the warning you get when trying to split
them across multiple locations: xymonnet will complain

"Host foo appears twice in hosts.cfg! This may cause strange results"

and indeed, that is what you got.

So begin by putting all of the http/cont/whatever tests in one place.
To be certain that is the definition Xymon uses, you can add the
keyword "prefer" to this entry.

Then to control what columns show up where, use "group-only" and/or
"group-except". E.g. I use this to have some special web-columns
show up on one line, and the other statuses on another line:

group-only frontpage|loginpage Web portal
10.0.0.1 host1  # prefer \
                  cont=frontpage;http://foo/index.html;Welcome \
		  cont=loginpage;http://foo/login.jsp;Password \
		  ssh
... other hosts ...
group-except frontpage|loginpage Webservers
0.0.0.0  host1  # noconn

The first group shows only the "frontpage" and "loginpage" statuses.
The second entry shows all EXCEPT those two, i.e. the data from the
"ssh" test, and data sent by the client running on that host.