[Xymon] conn Flapping every 2.5 minutes

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Feb 22 07:58:53 CET 2011

> Hi All,
>
> I have a problem with my Xymon setup I haven't been able to get
> around. The conn test for servers at the same site as the Xymon server
> that have simple host name entries in bb-hosts fails about every 2.5
> minutes with a "Can't resolve IP address for 1091edudc01" error
> (1091edudc01 being the host name). The other hosts at this site with
> FQDN work fine, as do simple host names at other sites.

Such random DNS lookup problems usually happen if your DNS server cannot
quite cope with the burst of requests that Xymon generates. Are you
using a local caching DNS server on the Xymon server, or the usual one
for your other systems?

I really do recommend installing a caching DNS server on the Xymon
server - I've seen Xymon bring DNS servers to their knees easily.

> Things that I have tried (in order)
>
> Added IP address to bb-hosts
>
> Added "testip" to bb-hosts

These two - in combination! - will force Xymon to use the IP from the
hosts.cfg (bb-hosts) file and avoid the DNS lookup. So that should solve it.