4.3.0 RC1 - rrddefinitions.cfg suggestion

Brian Majeska brian at majeska.com
Fri Feb 4 18:55:47 CET 2011

Henrik,

Would it be possible to add support for other rrdtool create options
in the rrddefinitions.cfg file?

I'd like to be able to specify a different step for certain tests.  Like

[http]
        --step 60
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:1440
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:5:576
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:30:576
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:120:576
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1440:576

This would let me zoom in on the graph down to the minute which helps
in quickly identifying when problems start and you have to dig through
mountains of logs for the precise moment, also I've found when using
drraw to create aggregated graphs for dashboards it gives it more of
an up to the minute view of your systems rather then a 5 minute lag
time.

I use to do this by creating the rrds manually on the 4.2.x code base,
but it would be great if I could just specify it in the
rrddefinitions.cfg.  The rrd step is just one of those items you can't
tune after its been created without dumping to xml first, creating a
new rrd container, then importing the data back.

--
Brian Majeska