[Xymon] How to have XYMON show FULL logs of client server? also how to show different logs for different servers?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Dec 15 23:03:59 CET 2011

On 15-12-2011 19:18, Tom S wrote:
> So I am using this method on client-local.cfg to show the logs:
>
> [linux]
> log:/var/log/myapp/my.app.log:90240
> ignore MARK
>
> However even if i increase the MAXDATA (90240) it still only shows the
> last hour or so of logging. - under 'msgs' .

That is by design. You normally don't want to transfer entire logfiles
between servers every 5 minutes - not to mention that the logfile data
is held in RAM on the Xymon server.

> I would like to to show more than that.   how is this possible?   eg.
> /var/log/myapp/my.app.log has logging from midnight, but only shows from
> the last 20 minutes.  I would like it to show at least 2 hours worth of
> logging.

Sorry, not possible. The "fetch the last 30 minutes of logfile data" is
hard coded into the client utilities (the "logfetch" program).

You can of course change the logfetch code running on the client ...
that's what Open Source is about. There's a MAXMINUTES setting near the
top which is set to "30", but there are a few places around the code
where the number of logfile positions for the past N runs of the client
assumes that MAXMINUTES isn't changed.

> Also, I would like to have different logs show for different client systems.
>
> I have tried this method:
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Other_Docs/FAQ#How_do_I_monitor_log_files_other_than_the_default_ones.3F
>
> but I don't see anything with hohbbit-clients.cfg -

hobbit-clients.cfg was renamed to analysis.cfg in Xymon 4.3.0.

> Can I not use the HOST=<client hostname> in the client-local.cfg  ?

No, the hostname is the "section" marker. So it would be

[client1]
log:/var/log/myapp1.log:10240

[client2]
log:/opt/foo/logs/blabla.log:50000