[Xymon] Problem with NOTICE rule in alerts.cfg

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Dec 13 13:11:20 CET 2011

On 08-12-2011 23:08, Bill Arlofski wrote:
> I noticed that the xymon_alerts docs show there is a NOTICE keyword which is
> described as:
>
> NOTICE	Rule matches if the message is a "notify" message. This type of message
> is sent when a host or test is disabled or enabled.
>

> I wanted to be alerted via a custom SMS script of any test as soon as it is
> enabled or disabled. So in the alerts.cfg file I had initially set up a line
> that I thought would trigger whenever a test was enabled or disabled like so:
>

> HOST=*
>     SCRIPT $xymon-sms-alert $waaphone TIME=$smsalerthours FORMAT=SMS NOTICE
>

> As I was testing enabling and disabling, it appeared that I had gotten the
> syntax correct and I was off to the next thing.
>
> However, when a normal test went yellow, I received two SMS alerts for it.
>
> My logs shows that the CFID environment variable was showing that my new alert
> listed above was triggering the SMS as well as the PAGE=%firewalls/* alert
> that was supposed to trigger it.

> Would love to get this working correctly and appreciate any help!

I think the description in the man-page could be improved.

The idea behind NOTICE is that this is an addition to existing rules; if
you get an alert, then you probably also want to get notified when the
test is disabled. So the idea is that you add the "NOTICE" keyword to
your existing "PAGE=%firewalls" rule - then you'll get the alert when it
goes yellow, and a notification if it is disabled - but not the double
alert.

But I understand that you would like to know about *any* test that gets
disabled - i.e. a notification that someone disabled a test, regardless
of whether you actually receive an alert for that test or not. That is
not possible currently, and frankly I am not sure if this should be
handled by the alert-module - there is a separate Xymon channel that is
fed all the enable/disable events, and I think this type of notification
would be better handled by plugging into that data stream.

Currently the only module using that enable/disable channel is the
compatibility module for updating the "Big Brother" 'disabled'
directory. But it would fairly trivial to create a module that triggered
a message whenever something was disabled.