[Xymon] [Feature request] Alerts should mention that the reason the colour is X is due to flapping

SebA spah at syntec.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 13:45:38 CET 2011

One of my colleagues queried yesterday why he got an alert when the text of
the e-mail suggests the status is green and there were 0 failures in the
past 10 minutes.  Looking at the status now, I saw that it said:

WARNING: Flapping status

This must be the reason why the status colour was what it was when the alert
was generated - the status was flapping.  But this fact should be in the
e-mail, just like it is in the display, or it just looks wrong.
Alternatively, alerts should be suppressed for flapping statuses until it
actually goes red (or whatever is configured in alerts.cfg) again.  This
would mean storing the current colour separely from the flapping-locked
colour (which I expect is done anyway) and using the current colour to match
the COLOR rule in alerts.cfg, and the flapping-locked colour to get the
history of how long the alert has been in this colour for the purposes of
matching against DURARATION and REPEAT rules.  So for alert configured like
this:
MAIL $pg-opssms COLOR=red DURATION>10 REPEAT=30 RECOVERED
that goes red for 5 minutes, yellow for 6, red for 5, yellow for 5, green
for 5, yellow for 5, red for 30 minutes
an alert should be genererated after 11 minutes and 41 minutes, not 10 and
40.  This would mean the alert would detail the current error in the text of
the alert, rather than the fact that everything is fine at that moment.

Kind regards,

SebA