[Xymon] 4.3.4 proxy to a 4.2.3 server

Root, Paul Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Thu Aug 25 19:41:17 CEST 2011

I spoke to soon. Which is good. At least I have some consistency.

The test box was able to ping the DEVMON machines, so no purple. I put noconn in the bb-hosts file, and that brought the blanket purple across the whole devmon machines. I also noticed that there was no ntp columns anywhere. The test server doesn't run the ntp test, just the proxy.

So, here's what I know: The 4.3.4 proxy server does not forward  conn and ntp tests to its servers.

And that almost makes sense. Those two tests would be run in the server part of the server, not the client or the proxy, so it probably never tells the proxy anything about them, and therefore it doesn't propagate.

So, now the question is, why does the 4.2.3 server propagate those tests through the proxy? And why are other tests like http not show this problem?

Actually, may it does, but I have http in all bb-hosts/hosts.cfg files. I'll test that next.

And lastly, how to I get the proxy to propagate those tests? Because, the main server can't get through the firewall for much of that.

Paul.

Paul Root    - Engineer III  - Qwest is now CenturyLink