[Xymon] MAXMSG_* limits

Phil Crooker Phil.Crooker at orix.com.au
Thu Aug 25 05:07:07 CEST 2011

I was having an issue with BBWin client messages being too large and
getting truncated. In the xymonserver.cfg help file, eg:

"MAXMSG_STATUS
The maximum size of a "status" message in kB, default: 256. "

I tried putting that variable in and enlarging it to 512 but still
received the same error and no change to MAXMSG either. I found I had to
use a value in bytes, not KB as stated - this was reported back in 2006:

http://lists.xymon.com/oldarchive/2006/05/msg00196.html

I assume this applies to all MAXMSG_* settings, I only had to deal with
STATUS, DATA and CLIENT.

I also found I had to restart xymon for it to pick up the changes. It
may be possible to just kill -HUP or something, I didn't try. But I
didn't expect this behaviour as the other config changes I've made have
been picked up on the fly...

But irrespective of this little issue, thanks everyone for a great
system.

cheers, Phil