[Xymon] Managing Xymon Server Data Disk Usage

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Aug 23 23:40:32 CEST 2011

On 8/23/2011 2:33 PM, Henrik Størner wrote:
> On 23-08-2011 23:02, John Aldridge wrote:
>> I've been watching disk usage grow on a Xymon server for about the past
>> six months, and this growth seems fairly steady and linear.
>>
>> The big directories are histlogs and hostdata.
>>
>> After digging into the documentation, I'm wondering what strategies
>> Xymon admins prefer for managing disk usage.
>
> hostdata: Used primarily for troubleshooting incidents. So you probably
> don't need to save this for very long. I keep it for one month, and
> simply run a cron-job to delete any files older than 30 days.
>
> histlogs: Holds the detailed statuslogs that are linked to from the
> "History" and reports-pages. On the 1st of each month, I run a script to
> archive all of the history logs generated during the past month into a
> compressed cpio archive. They compress very well, so this is an
> effective way of archiving them. Then I delete all of the files that are
> older than 3 months.
>
> With bash + GNU date, this will do it (run it on the 1st of the month):

Perhaps a patch to read <timestamp>.gz files in this dir as well and
self pipe through gunzip on opening would be a nice feature?

That way you've still got live access and people compressing the files
can leave them in place.

Eventually, it would be nice for xymon to use a compression library in
other places too. For some links, it might be worth it to compress .data
messages before sending them over, for example.

-jc