[Xymon] Xymond and xymonnet quirks

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Aug 18 07:40:00 CEST 2011

On 18-08-2011 06:41, Poppy, Ben wrote:
> After getting the latest Xymon 4.3.4 finally working on CentOS 6 64-bit,
> I'm seeing a few quirks that I'd appreciate some input on.
>
> First, under Xymonnet tests, it's alerting Yellow because the time spent
> is too long (over 300). The culprit is DNS tests executed taking over
> 340 itself.. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Is it "DNS lookups" or "DNS tests" ?

I've had another report that there is a problem with timeout handling in
the DNS *tests* (the explicit tests to see if a dns server is working),
which would show up in the latter line, whereas the ordinary DNS
*lookups* (those performed to see what IP we should use to probe all the
hosts in hosts.cfg) work OK.

> Next, under Xymond, I'm getting a ton of multiple statuses reports for
> CONN tests. I can't seem to find a clear archive of what would cause
> that other than having both IP's listed when you have 2 display servers..
>
> Both servers reference each other as a client and in xymonserver.cfg..

No wonder you get that warning, then. With both servers listing each
other in xymonserver.cfg, then the network tests you run on each server
will send the results to both of your servers - so server A will be
getting all of the "conn" status reports both from server A and server
B. Hence the warning - there are two systems reporting the same data.