[Xymon] sslcert test frequency

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Apr 8 15:14:35 CEST 2011

> Yes, that is true if I was also checking the status of the connection or content.  In this case, all I care about is the sslcert.  I would prefer not to do any more tests then necessary - in this case maybe 4 times per day.

The general solution to run network tests at different intervals is to
"abuse" the Xymon 'NET:foo' definition in hosts.cfg, and then run an
instance of xymonnet to handle just those tests.

1) In hosts.cfg, add a "NET:4perday" to the hosts you want this for.
Leave the other hosts unchanged.

2) Set the XYMONNETWORK setting in xymonserver.cfg to
XYMONSERVER="standard" - this is for the normal every-5-minutes tests.

3) Change the xymonnet task definition in tasks.cfg: Add the option
"--test-untagged" to the xymonnet commandline.

4) Create this shell script in $XYMONHOME/ext/4perday.sh :

    #!/bin/sh
    XYMONNETWORK=4perday
    export XYMONNETWORK
    xymonnet --ping --checkresponse
    exit 0

5) Add a custom task to tasks.cfg like this to run the 4-per-day tests:

    [4perday]
       CMD $XYMONHOME/ext/4perday.sh
       INTERVAL 6h

Steps 2) and 3) are needed to keep the regular xymonnet task from
testing all hosts, but still check all those hosts that don't have a
"NET:..." definition.