[xymon] rrdtool update now shows blank RRD graphs

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Sep 29 23:00:52 CEST 2010

In <OFE4EA0159.AF8C3FF1-ON852577AD.0070250F-852577AD.00709451 at csc.com> Matthew Moldvan <mmoldvan at csc.com> writes:

>Not sure if this is a bug with RRD, or a change in the way RRD draws the
>trends graphs, but after the below YUM transaction (CentOS 5.5, Xymon
>4.2.3-1), all of my graphs are now missing text (e.g.
>http://imgur.com/n8AGe.png).

>Can anyone venture a guess as to why?  Bug in RRD or in Xymon?

First, you need to find out which RRD library Xymon ends up
using. Run an 'ldd $BBHOME/bin/hobbitgraph.cgi' and see whether
it points to the 1.2.18 or 1.4.4 version of librrd.

My guess is that it uses the 1.2.18 version - it should,
because that's probably the version you have compiled Xymon
with. If it points to the new version, you could try re-
compiling Xymon and see if that helps.

You can also try running rrdtool from the command line.
Something like this should generate a graph for the "ping"
test response times:

rrdtool graph test.png -s 'now-48h' -e now -t 'Ping times' \
  'DEF:p1=/home/xymon/data/rrd/myserver/tcp.conn.rrd:sec:AVERAGE' \
  'LINE2:p1#00FF00'

(Adjust the filename in the "DEF" setting to match whatever
tcp.conn.rrd file you have for a server).

If the graph in "test.png" has the same problem, then it's
an RRDtool problem.