[xymon] HP Proliants

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Thu Sep 23 04:15:23 CEST 2010

Colin,
> I can't use SNMP as the security policy does not allow SNMP traffic in
> the network where these servers are located.  The servers are all
> either DL380G5 or G6 with some new DL385s likely to land soon.

Without SNMP across the network, you could use SNMP just to localhost
(i.e. install devmon locally on each host), or you would need to work
out what CLI utils were available to display status and then parse
output, etc to create your own test. There may already be something on
xymonton or deadcat.net - I haven't checked.

hpasmcli(4)                     hpasm commands
hpasmcli(4)

NAME
       hpasmcli - HP management CLI

SYNOPSIS
       hpasmcli [-s "<command1>;<command2>;...<commandN>"]

DESCRIPTION
       hpasmcli  is  a  scriptable command line interface for
interacting with
       the hpasmd or hpasmxld management daemons. It is used to
view/set/mod-
       ify  BIOS  settings such as hyperthreading, boot control, and UID
LEDs.
       It can be used to display hardware status, such  as  fans,
power  sup-
       plies, etc.  It also can show, repair, and clear the IML.

       The  CLI  supports  TAB  completion  of command names and has a
history
       buffer that can be accessed using the up/down arrows.

       In addition to the command line interface,  hpasmcli  also
supports  a
       mode  that  is  usable  for incorporating into basic shell
scripts. The
       return value of hpasmcli in script mode can be used to verify a
command
       executed successfully. If multiple commands are executed, only
the sta-
       tus of the last command is returned to the shell. As  an
example,  the
       following  first  executes  the <SHOW SERVER> command to retrieve
basic
       system information, and next reads the status of the UID:

       hpasmcli -s "show server; show uid"

OPTIONS
       -s     "<command1>;<command2;...<commandN>"

       Enables script mode. hpasmcli will execute the commands listed as
argu-
       ments in the order written. At least one command must be specified.

COMMANDS
       [  CLEAR | DISABLE | ENABLE | EXIT | HELP | NOTE | QUIT |REPAIR |
SET |
       SHOW ]

       CLEAR [ IML ]
              Clears the specified feature.

       DISABLE [ ASR | HT | PXE [ NIC1 | NIC2 | NIC3 | NIC4 | NIC5 ] | WOL ]
              Disables the specified feature.

              ASR - Disables Automatic Server Recovery.

              HT  - Disables Processor Hyper-Threading.

              PXE - Disables PXE BOOT on specified NIC.

              WOL - Disables Wake-On-Lan feature.

       ENABLE [ ASR | HT | PXE [ NIC1 | NIC2 | NIC3 | NIC4 | NIC5 ] | WOL ]
              Enables the specified feature.

              ASR - Enables Automatic Server Recovery.

              HT  - Enables Processor Hyper-Threading.

              PXE - Enables PXE BOOT on specified NIC.

              WOL - Enables Wake-On-Lan feature.

       EXIT   - Quit the program.

       HELP   - Provides assistance on the available commands.

       NOTE [ IML ]
              IML - Add a maintenance note to the IML.

       QUIT - Exit the program.

       REPAIR [ IML ]
              IML <entry> - Mark an IML entry as repaired.

       SET [ ASR <timeout> | BOOT [ FIRST [ CDROM |  FLOPPY  |  HDD  |
PXE  |
       USBKEY ] | ONCE [ CDROM | FLOPPY | HDD | PXE | RBSU ] ] | F1  [
ENABLED
       | DELAYED | DISABLED ] | NAME <string> | SERIAL [  BIOS  |
EMBEDDED  |
       VIRTUAL ] | UID [ ON | OFF ]
            Sets or configured the feature as specified.

            ASR <timeout> sets the timeout value of ASR.

            BOOT sets the first boot device or the onetime boot option.
FIRST
            sets the first boot device.  ONCE sets the next boot device.

            F1 sets the desired POST F1 prompt behavior.

                 ENABLED means to enable POST F1 prompt.

                 DELAYED  means  to  enable F1 prompt but timeout and
continue
                 booting if no input.

                 DISABLED means don’t stop POST at F1.

            NAME <string> - Set the system name.

            SET SERIAL BIOS [ COM1 BAUD | COM2 BAUD | DISABLED  ]  -
Set  the
            BIOS  serial  COM  port baud rate.  Baud rate must be either
9600,
            19200, 57600 or 115200.

            SET SERIAL EMBEDDED [ PORTA | PORTB ]. - Set the  embedded
serial
            port to COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, or DISABLED.

            SET  SERIAL  VIRTUAL  [ COM1 | COM2 | DISABLED ] - Set
virtual COM
            port to COM1, COM2, or DISABLED.

            UID [ ON | OFF ] - Turn the UID on/off.

       SHOW [ ASR | BOOT | DIMM <SPD> | F1 | FANS | HT | IML | IPL  |
NAME  |
       PORTMAP  |  POWERSUPPLY  | PXE | SERIAL [ BIOS | EMBEDDED |
VIRTUAL ] |
       SERVER | TEMP | UID | WOL ]
            Show the current status or configuration of the selected
feature.

            ASR - Displays the Automatic System Recovery status and timeout.

            BOOT  -  Displays  the current first boot device and one
time boot
            option.

            DIMM - Displays the current memory dimm configuration.
Optionally
            will dump the SPD bytes if available.

            F1   - Displays the configuration of the POST F1 prompt.

            FANS - Displays the current status and fan configuration.

            HT   - Displays the status of Processor Hyper-Threading.

            IML  - Displays the Integrated Management Log.

            IPL  - Displays the current boot order.

            NAME - Displays the System Name.

            PORTMAP - Displays the NIC port Mapping information.

            POWERSUPPLY  -  Displays current Powersupply status and
configura-
            tion.

            PXE  - Displays the PXE configuration of each embedded NIC.

            SERIAL BIOS - Displays the current BIOS console
redirection  port
            setting.

            SERIAL  EMBEDDED  - Displays the current embedded serial
port set-
            ting.

            SERIAL VIRTUAL - Displays the current virtual serial port
setting.

            SERVER - Displays various information about the system.

            TEMP - Displays the current status of the temperature sensors.

            UID - Displays the current status of the UID LED.

            WOL - Displays the current Wake-On-Lan configuration.

EXAMPLES
       Show the system fan and temp status.
              hpasmcli -s <SHOW FANS; SHOW TEMP>

       Turn the UID on.
              hpasmcli -s <SET UID ON>

LIMITATIONS
       This  utility  requires  the  health driver (hpasmd, hpasmxld or
hpasm-
       lited) to be loaded. Some commands may not be supported on all
servers.
       This includes commands that use features only available on
servers with
       an iLo chip. Other commands may only make  sense  on  certain
specific
       Proliant servers.

AUTHOR
       Hewlett-Packard Company <http://www.hp.com/linux>.

COPYRIGHT
       Copyright (c) 2004-2007 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

# hpasmcli
HP management CLI for Linux (v2.0)
Copyright 2008 Hewlett-Packard Development Group, L.P.

NOTE: Some hpasmcli commands may not be supported on all Proliant servers.
      Type 'help' to get a list of all top level commands.
hpasmcli> show fans
Fan  Location        Present Speed  of max  Redundant  Partner
Hot-pluggable
---  --------        ------- -----  ------  ---------  -------
-------------
#1   SYSTEM          Yes     NORMAL  20%     Yes        0
No
#2   SYSTEM          Yes     NORMAL  20%     Yes        0
No
#3   SYSTEM          Yes     NORMAL  20%     Yes        0
No

hpasmcli> show powersupply
Power supply #1
    Present  : Yes
    Redundant: Yes
    Condition: Ok
    Hotplug  : Supported
    Power    : 35 Watts
Power supply #2
    Present  : Yes
    Redundant: Yes
    Condition: Ok
    Hotplug  : Supported
    Power    : 60 Watts

> I'd like to prevent user group A viewing user group B's systems and
> visa versa.  This is where to roles come in, if there is another
> solution I'd be happy to hear it.

See
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/xymon/index.php?title=XymonFaq#How_do_I_restrict_access_to_Hobbit_pages_to_specific_people_or_groups_.3F

At worst, you may need separate bbgen commands to create the exact
combination/layout of pages you need. See bbgen man page.
> I've just got the HP RAID checks working on a couple of test (Linux
> based) Proliants.  As we've had a couple of power supplies fail, I was
> hoping to monitor these as well.

_Always_ a good idea to monitor hardware!

David.

--
David Baldwin - IT Unit
Australian Sports Commission          www.ausport.gov.au

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.