Trends, trends and more trends. Feature request.

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 04:19:05 CEST 2010

Hi all

With the addition of diskstat/iostat info (along with zonestat, mpstat, a
few other custom graphs, and the standard Xymon graphs), the trends column
is really starting to look a little full. Cluttered might even be a better
word.

It would be nice to have a diskstat column for my server with all the
diskstat info on one page, but the way it works right now, we can't have
multiple graphs on a test page, particularly when these graphs are of
different scales. (counters, percentage, kb etc)

So, if that isn't possible, how difficult would it be to add a feature to
create a "user defined trends" page.
I know I can reshape my existing trends page, but cluttered as it is, I
actually want all the graphs, and don't want tot take any out.

What would be nice is if I could define a page, let's call it diskio, and
then define that to contain all the diskstat graphs, and then take them out
of trends.
Likewise, I could do the same with mpstat and zonestat.
This will give me at least 4 "trends" columns, and like the existing trends
page, it would contain nothing but graphs.
But each trend column would be less cluttered, and contain more specific
information, making it easier to find and comprehend.

How difficult would it be for the developer types to add this as a feature?
Not sure how the underlying code looks, but from what I see, in the config,
we have
TRENDSCOLUMN="trends"
GRAPHS="heaps,of,graphs,defined,here"
Everything in $GRAPHS ends up under the trends column.

How difficult would this be?
TRENDSCOLUMN="trends, diskstat, mpstat, zonestat, network"  # default plus 4
new columns.
GRAPHS="heaps,of,graphs,defined,here"              # Default stuff that
appears under first item in $TRENDSCOLUMN
GRAPHS_diskstat="diskstat-reads::7,etc.etc."       # Stuff that will appear
under a column labeled "diskstat"
GRAPHS_mpstat="mpstat,graphs,defined,here"         # Stuff that will appear
under a column labeled "mpstat"
GRAPHS_zonestat="zone,related,graphs,defined,here" # Stuff that will appear
under a column labeled "zonestat"
GRAPHS_network="network,traffic,and,tc,stuff"      # Stuff that will appear
under a column labeled "network"

As I typed that, I noticed the word "graphs" appeared in multiple
definitions. Probably be a bonus feature :-)

Regards
     Vernon