[xymon] depends-like test for processes

Colin Coe colin.coe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 01:17:42 CEST 2010

Hmm, I looked at that and for some reason didn't think it would do
what I wanted...

Anyway, my combo test looks like:
IVR.procs = (node1.procs + node2.procs + node3.procs + node4.procs) == 1
Although I'm not sure how to make it only test on the 'ivr' processes....

but I'm getting the same error as this thread
(http://www.xymon.com/archive/2009/09/msg00052.html) reports.  My
Xymon server is a RHEL5.5 virtual host running under Xen.

On an aside, this environment 'reuses' hostnames only differentiating
systems by the domain suffix (no, not my idea and no I don't like it).
 I have node[1-4].prod and node[1-3].dev (no not their real hostnames
or domain names), all are in Xymon.  Can the combo test handle being
provided the FQDN?  i.e.
IVR.procs = (node1\.prod.procs + node2\.prod.procs + node3\.prod.procs
+ node4\.prod.procs) == 1

Thanks

CC

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Vernon Everett
<everett.vernon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Colin
>
> We did something similar at previous client we know too well. :-)
> It's called a combo-test.
> Look for "Combination Tests" under the man pages.
>
> What you need to do is define a new test. Call it "Cluster" for lack of a
> better name.
> You then define servername.Cluster=(insert logical arguments here) into
> bbcombotest.cfg
> This will generate a new test which is dependant on the logic you define.
> The server name doesn't even need to exist. So you can define your combo
> test as cluster.app=(logic)
> This will send the results of a new test "app" as if it came from a new
> server called "cluster"
> You then add cluster to bb-hosts as follows
> 0.0.0.0   Cluster  # noconn
> Very powerful, and the man page does explain it fairly well.
>
> Let me know how you go.
>
> Cheers
>       Vernon
>

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Colin Coe <colin.coe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm trying to do a depends-like test for processes.  What I'd like is
>> ensure that process foo is running on one of four hosts, if the
>> process is running on more than one host or on none, a red flag should
>> be raised.
>>
>> Has anyone done this previously?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> CC