[hobbit] Xymon Protocol

TJ Yang tjyang2001 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 20:01:30 CEST 2010

Hi, Neil

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Neil Franken
<nfranken at theunlimitedworld.co.za> wrote:
> Thanks TJ.
>
> Will have a look at these. I had a look at the BBWin source code today and learned quite a bit about how to send messages to Xymon Server. I got it right to simulate some rough tests with telnet(after getting telnet running on Vista). I use BBwin quite a bit to monitor my M$ SQL boxes and some Gentoo Asterix(VOIP) Servers. I have done some development for BBwin to monitor SQL Server specifics.

I study BBWin before. Glad to see you are interested about BBWin. I
was/am impressed with BBWin use XML file for hobbit client
configuration, nmake to inline with Unix build and lastly  use WiX for
packaging tool.

My interests was to create a develpment windows box, so that I can
recreate bbwin.msi to include my own customization. My last effort was
documented in R1. but it is pretty outdated.

R1: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Developer_Guide#Windows_Hobbit_client

> While BBwin is easy to use and quiet extensible I think it needs a major shot of new development.

I agree but we need some capable person willing  to do it for free !

BBWin author is hard to reach, I am hoping you can be our goto person
for BBWin src tree.

> I know there is Xymon.net client in alpha? I wish I could help but I tend to avoid .Net as I am a C/C++/Java person.

I am still struggling to polish my C coding skill no time for C#.

>I would love to contribute to the projects but will need to find  out where first.

How about "Make R1 procedure to work with VS Express 2010 ?"
It is hard to download VS2005 express. A few weeks ago, I wanted to
follow my own procedure to create another dev box using downloadable
VS2010 express and got stuck with boot library issue ;-<

Let me know if you have working BBWin dev environment, my old working
vmware session some how lost..

tj
> Regards
> Neil