[hobbit] Monitoring hosts behind a load balancer

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Tue Jun 15 19:03:59 CEST 2010

Steve Holmes wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Ralph Mitchell
> <ralphmitchell at gmail.com <mailto:ralphmitchell at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I used to have some scripts that would make SOAP requests to an F5
>     to get the pools and pool member status.  I no longer have access to
>     that system, but I may have a backup at home.
>
>     I based my scripts on a bunch of example programs in the F5 SDK.
>      IIRC, I altered a couple of the perl scripts to output lines like:
>
>          pool1 server1 OK
>          pool1 server2 DOWN
>          etc...
>
>     Then you just run around a loop reading the lines and sending BB
>     status messages.
>
>     As long as your F5 is checking the servers occasionally, this
>     approach works OK.
>
>     Ralph Mitchell
>

>     On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Steve Holmes <sholmes42 at mac.com
>     <mailto:sholmes42 at mac.com>> wrote:
>
>         Greetings, I'm monitoring several Solaris 10 servers which are
>         behind an F5 load balancer. One of the features of the F5 is
>         that it answers pings for all of the hosts behind it, even if
>         they are all down. Has anyone devised a method of testing the
>         servers for being alive in this context? There are no other
>         network based tests being done. Yes, all of the other tests
>         eventually go purple in Xymon, but we'd like to know that the
>         hosts are down when that happens.
>
>         Thanks,
>         Steve Holmes
>         ITaP/Purdue University
>

> Thanks! I'll check with the F5 admin to see if this might be doable.
> Steve

It would not surprise me though if this is exactly what the F5 devmon
template gives you via SNMP. Might be worth a check. If you just
download the tar and look at the templates directory under F5, you'll
the OID's file should tell you what's monitored. Hate to see duplication
of effort. :)

- --
|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | |Ryan Novosielski - Sr. Systems Programmer
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent.|IST/CST-Academic Svcs. - ADMC 450, Newark