[xymon] xymon-client repo install broken also?

Xymon User in Richmond hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Fri Jul 30 14:34:26 CEST 2010

On Thu, July 29, 2010 17:48, Buchan Milne wrote:
[snip]

> Focus on the actual error message reported that caused the installation
> transaction to fail:
>
>> Error unpacking rpm package xymon-client-4.2.3-1.rhel5.x86_64 error:
>> unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib64/xymon/client/etc: cpio:
>> rename
>>
>> Failed: xymon-client.x86_64 0:4.2.3-1.rhel5
>>
>> Complete!
[snip]

> Why do you have existing files in /usr/lib64/xymon if you have no package
>  installed?

Perhaps because I had previously attempted a full xymon repo install on
this box, which blew off?  Must not have hand-cleaned everything as I
thought.

> According to the error message, and previous experience with rpm, most
> likely you have a real directory, /usr/lib64/xymon/client/etc, and rpm is
> trying to create a symlink there instead, which rpm doesn't deal that
> well with. If packages know about this, they will take care of removal of
> the directory in %pre, but I have never had a real directory located
> there.

Can't figure out how it got there, then, if a package didn't do it.

> Please remove or rename the directory, and then install or upgrade the
> package.

Got rid of everything with xymon or hobbit in the name, grabbed your src
rpm, and built from that.  Worked out ok that way.  BTW, although rrdtool,
rrdtool-devel, and pcre are in the RH epel repo, pcre-devel is not.  But
grabbing the pcre-version-matching rpm from Centos EL5 repo works fine.
Also grabbed rpm-helper-1.02-0.fdr.1.noarch.rpm from pbone to get the
source-built xymon rpms to install.

> So, no, the package isn't broken or hosed or anything else.

OK.  Thanks for your work.  I must have somehow hosed things trying to
work on too many things at once.  Was distracted by an ongoing SMTP
weirdness amongst some servers.