[xymon] Fresh server install on RHEL5: source or yum repo?

Cleaver, Japheth jcleaver at soe.sony.com
Wed Jul 28 00:27:54 CEST 2010

*snip*

> Sorry, guess I should have elaborated.  I wanted to hear if you'd give the
> same advice now as a year ago, and whether we could count on a Xymon rpm
> repo being maintained going forward.  Looks like the answers are "yes" and
> "maybe".  Given that some of the rpm-based file locations differ from
> those resulting from a source install, I'm now leaning toward installing
> from source.

That's arguably a feature-not-a-bug of using a packaged system :) For me, putting things in FHS locations seems to make the best sense, with compatibility symlinks provided for things that are expecting HOBBITCLIENTHOME, BBHOME, and other variables to be useful.

Packages I've written go beyond the distributed ones to really push things around, but have made upgrading much more manageable that doing anything from source.

Your server you might be able to, but if you have the option of using packages on your clients I'd strongly suggest it; you'll be happier in the future.

Regards,

-jc