[xymon] Graphs gone crazy

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 04:43:14 CEST 2010

Hi Tim

Thanks for those pointers. I have moved the problem along, in so much
as I realise now what's borked.
Still not sure how to fix it, but I have a theory about why it's broken.

Appears rrd is borked.
To replicate what's happening, I modified your command, and tried to
recreate a cpu graph (using live data)
 rrdtool graph splat.png \
       "DEF:avg=./la.rrd:la:AVERAGE" \
       "CDEF:la=avg,100,/" \
       "AREA:la#00CC00:la" \
       "GPRINT:la:LAST: \: %5.0lf xxx" \
       "GPRINT:la:MAX: \: %5.0lf max" \
       "GPRINT:la:MIN: \: %5.0lf min" \
       "GPRINT:la:AVERAGE: \: %5.0lf avg\n"
And got the attached output.
This is pretty much what I get in the trends column.

So I tried again with one of the graphs that don't show up at all. The
hobbitd incoming messages graph.
And got this error message.
ERROR: LINE width '2:in#00CCCC:Incoming messages' is out of range in
line 'LINE2:in#00CCCC:Incoming messages'

Odd! Tried a bit of reformatting - still no graph.
So I took the one above, which is known to at least produce output,
and replaced AREA with LINE2.
ERROR: LINE width '2:la#00CC00:la' is out of range in line 'LINE2:la#00CC00:la'
Odd that this message isn't showing up in any of the logs though.

So I went back to my graphs, and the penny dropped.
The graphs that appear with the wash of colour are all AREA graphs, or
contain an AREA component.
The missing ones are all LINE or LINE2 graphs.

Sound familiar to anybody?

My theory is that somebody upgraded the libraries. (We are using the
CSW libraries) and the upgrade may have caused an issue.

The investigation continues.
Any ideas clues or pointers from the list appreciated.

Regards
     Vernon