[xymon] the opposite of DEPENDS?

Wed Jul 14 14:07:24 CEST 2010

On Jul 14, 2010, at 4:03 AM, Buchan Milne wrote:

> Use bbcombotest, see 'man bbcombotest' and 'man bbcombotest.cfg'

That would be the “something obvious” I was missing. I’ll take a look. Thanks.

As long as I’ve got you, I wanted to say that I found and am using your excellent OpenLDAP monitoring scripts and graphs. I generally love them, but I was getting a lot of “out of sync” false positives on the slaves. They would all of a sudden claim to be like 38 minutes out of sync. I wonder if maybe you wrote them with `refreshAndPersist` in mind because I’m using `refreshOnly` (once per minute) for now.

Here’s the problem: Say it’s been 45 minutes since a change on the master and then a MOD comes through. If the slave checks in once per minute, it’ll get the change in far less than the 10 minute default threshold for “yellow”, but the contextCSN on the master and slave are technically 45 minutes apart so simply comparing them will make things look much worse than they really are.

I’ve modified the logic of the script a bit. It still compares contextCSN on master and slave, but if they’re different, it then compares the contextCSN timestamp on the master to the current time. So if the slave is out of sync, but the master only changed 25 seconds ago, it won’t freak out.

Like I said, I made these changes to better handle `refreshOnly` slaves, but if I’m not mistaken, the same logic would work for `refreshAndPersist` so let me know if you’d like me to send the changes to be incorporated into your script. Thanks again.

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

If you need something, that doesn't mean someone else owes it to you. If you don’t need something, that doesn’t mean someone else can take it.