[hobbit] Xymon client on ESX 3.5: goes purple after 30 minutes + disks not graphing

loris.serena at pncgis.ie loris.serena at pncgis.ie
Thu Jul 8 16:53:15 CEST 2010

Hi TJ,

the ESX box I have here seems to refer to RHEL3.

[xymon at dubesxserver etc]$ cat /etc/vmware-release
VMware ESX Server 3 (Dali)
[xymon at dubesxserver etc]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon)
[xymon at dubesxserver etc]$

> Can you share what you have done to prepare a Xymon client for ESX ?

To be honest with you... not much, really! ;-)
Just a plain configure.client and all compiled ok (xymon 4.2.3).

plus,

1.
sudo permission for the xymon user to run /usr/sbin/vdf

2.
[xymon at dubesxserver client]$ diff runclient.sh.orig runclient.sh
19c19
< MACHINEDOTS="`uname -n`"                      # This systems hostname
---
> MACHINEDOTS="`hostname -s`"                   # This systems hostname

but that's just me, for the non FQDN thingy

3.
[xymon at dubesxserver bin]$ diff hobbitclient-linux.sh.orig
hobbitclient-linux.sh
45c45
< df -Pl -x none -x tmpfs -x shmfs -x unknown -x iso9660 | sed -e '/^[^
][^     ]*$/{
---
> sudo /usr/sbin/vdf -P | egrep -v
"\/vmfs\/devices|none|tmpfs|shmfs|unknown|iso9660" | sed -e '/^[^    ][^
]*$/{

usage may vary here, depending to what fs one want to include/exclude

4.
chmod g+r /var/log/messages
usermod -G root xymon

for the xymon user to read the messages file.

More stuff.
I haven't looked at replacing top with esxtop yet, but I recall reading a
few posts on the subject.
Running sh -x hobbitclient-linux.sh completes OK, if we forgive a few
variables (i.e. BBTMP) not set in my shell.

As Johan Sjoberg mentioned,
the vmstat process only lives for one iteration on ESX, which may well be
where the issue lies.

[xymon at dubesxserver client]$ date
Thu Jul  8 15:48:01 IST 2010
[xymon at dubesxserver client]$ ps -ef | grep xymon
xymon    15311     1  0 15:46 ?        00:00:00
/home/xymon/client/bin/hobbitlaunch
--config=/home/xymon/client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg
--log=/home/xymon/client/logs/clientlaunch.log
--pidfile=/home/xymon/client/logs/clientlaunch.dubesxserver.pid
xymon    15340     1  0 15:46 ?        00:00:00 sh -c vmstat 300 2
1>/home/xymon/client/tmp/hobbit_vmstat.dubesxserver.15316 2>&1; mv
/home/xymon/client/tmp/hobbit_vmstat.dubesxserver.15316
/home/xymon/client/tmp/hobbit_vmstat.dubesxserver
[xymon at dubesxserver client]$

[xymon at dubesxserver client]$ date
Thu Jul  8 15:52:16 IST 2010
[xymon at dubesxserver client]$ ps -ef | grep xymon
xymon    15311     1  0 15:46 ?        00:00:00
/home/xymon/client/bin/hobbitlaunch
--config=/home/xymon/client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg
--log=/home/xymon/client/logs/clientlaunch.log
--pidfile=/home/xymon/client/logs/clientlaunch.dubesxserver.pid
[xymon at dubesxserver client]$

Loris

             TJ Yang
             <tjyang2001 at gmail
                                       hobbit at hswn.dk
             08/07/2010 15:02                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: [hobbit] Xymon client on ESX
              hobbit at hswn.dk           3.5: goes purple after 30 minutes +
                                             disks not graphing

Loris, you are ahead of me.

Sorry I don't have answer for your question since I haven't tackle
this myself yet.
I have interest to get xymon client for ESXi to work since I have a
few ESXi and ESX machines monitored(conn)  by Xymon.

One thing you can try is to do a "sh -x" on hobbitclient-linux.sh to
see if every commands ran fine ?
ESX is a slimmed down version of Linux(RH 9 ?), you should have done
many changes in hobbitclient-linux.sh file.

Can you share what you have done to prepare a Xymon client for ESX ?

I am hoping this ESX effort can be rolled in src in the end.

tj

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:35 AM,  <loris.serena at pncgis.ie> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> First of all, congratulations Buchan!!!
>

> I have a couple of issues on two VMWare ESX 3.5 boxes.
> The xymon client compiled ok and starts fine, just after 30 or so minutes
> of all green, the local tests (disk, cpu. memory, etc...) turn purple on
> the BBDISPLAY.
> On the ESX box (dubesxserver), the xymon client is still up
>
> xymon at dubesxserver logs]$ ps -ef | grep xymon
> xymon    20485     1  0 12:54 ?        00:00:00
> /home/xymon/client/bin/hobbitlaunch
> --config=/home/xymon/client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg
> --log=/home/xymon/client/logs/clientlaunch.log
> --pidfile=/home/xymon/client/logs/clientlaunch.dubesxserver.pid
> [xymon at dubesxserver logs]$
>
> and the logs look clean
>
> [xymon at dubesxserver logs]$ tail -6 clientlaunch.log
> 2010-07-08 11:04:12 hobbitlaunch starting
> /home/xymon/client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg
> 2010-07-08 11:44:14 hobbitlaunch starting
> /home/xymon/client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg
> 2010-07-08 12:54:23 hobbitlaunch starting
> /home/xymon/client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg
> [xymon at dubesxserver logs]$
>
> On the The xymon server (mjolnir), the only thing I could spot in the
logs
> is the following:
>
> [xymon at mjolnir xymon]$ grep dubesxserver /var/log/xymon/history.log
> 2010-07-08 13:55:56 Will not update
> /home/xymon/data/hist/dubesxserver.memory - color unchanged (purple)
> 2010-07-08 13:55:56 Will not update
> /home/xymon/data/hist/dubesxserver.files - color unchanged (purple)
> 2010-07-08 13:55:56 Will not update
/home/xymon/data/hist/dubesxserver.msgs
> - color unchanged (purple)
> 2010-07-08 13:55:56 Will not update
> /home/xymon/data/hist/dubesxserver.ports - color unchanged (purple)
> 2010-07-08 13:55:56 Will not update
> /home/xymon/data/hist/dubesxserver.procs - color unchanged (purple)
> 2010-07-08 13:55:56 Will not update
/home/xymon/data/hist/dubesxserver.disk
> - color unchanged (purple)
> 2010-07-08 13:55:56 Will not update
/home/xymon/data/hist/dubesxserver.cpu
> - color unchanged (purple)
>
> There are no ghost clients.
> The two ESX boxes are the only two FQDN hosts in an entirely non-FQDN
> environment.
> I think I got this right in bb-hosts, but too much of a coincidence not
> mention it.
>
> [xymon at mjolnir etc]$ grep dubesx bb-hosts
> 10.11.12.11  dubesxserver  # CLIENT:dubesxserver.mydomain.com !telnet
!ftp
> ssh !smtp
> 10.11.12.12  dubesxserver2 # CLIENT:dubesxserver2.mydomain.com !telnet
!ftp
> ssh !smtp
>
> So... what am I missing here?
>

> Also, reading through previous posts, I've amended the df section of
> hobbitclient-linux on the xymon client to be as follows:
>
> echo "[df]"
> sudo /usr/sbin/vdf -P | egrep -v
> "\/vmfs\/devices|none|tmpfs|shmfs|unknown|iso9660" | sed -e
'/^[^      ][^
> ]*$/{
> s/[     ]*\n[   ]*/ /
> }'
>
> The data seem to arrive ok to the xymon server (the below is take from
the
> http://mjolnir/xymon-cgi/bb-hostsvc.sh?HOST=dubesxserver&SERVICE=disk
page)

> Filesystem         1024-blocks      Used Available Capacity Mounted on
> /dev/sda2              5036316   2091244   2689240      44% /
> /dev/sda1               101089     29317     66553      31% /boot
> /dev/sda7              2008080    160456   1745616       9% /var/log
> /vmfs/volumes/45e4461c-a5352206-a179-0019b9b80358     1298923520
996801536
> 302121984  76% /vmfs/volumes/Dubesxserver_Storage1
> /vmfs/volumes/4a48df4f-c3b2e5bb-d72c-00188b44e922      419430400
351988736
> 67441664  83% /vmfs/volumes/ESX_LUN_Compton
> /vmfs/volumes/4be031bd-23a8786b-9e26-00188b44e922      943456256
839100416
> 104355840  88% /vmfs/volumes/4be031bd-23a8786b-9e26-00188b44e922
>
> but all the disks graph are blank, i.e. the six filesystems are listed ok
> in the graphs, but none is graphed and all six say:
>
> <partition name>  nan (cur)   nan (man)   nan (min)   nan (avg)
>

> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, here?
>
> Cheers
>
> Loris
>

> The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachment, is
confidential and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient.
Access, copying or re-use of the e-mail or any attachment, or any
information contained therein, by any other person is not authorized. If
you are not an intended party to this communication, please notify the
sender and delete/destroy any and all copies of this communication.

> Although we attempt to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, we do
not guarantee that either are virus-free and accept no liability for any
damage sustained as a result of viruses.  There are some inherent risks
with exchanging e-mails. You understand and agree that we are not, and will
not be, responsible for the unauthorized access, interception, or
redirection of e-mails including any attachments, nor will we be
responsible for the effect on any computer system of any e-mails or
attachments.  You also agree that we will not be responsible for the
incorrect or incomplete transmission of information by e-mail

> The information contained in this communication is not intended or
construed as an offer, solicitation, or a recommendation to purchase any
security.

> Opinions, suggestions or views presented in this communication are not
necessarily those of The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation or any of its
affiliates.

> Please refer to http://disclaimer.bnymellon.com/eu.htm for disclosures
relating to European legal entities

--