[hobbit] Input needed from all of you.

Neil Franken nfranken at theunlimitedworld.co.za
Wed Jul 7 08:51:08 CEST 2010

Hi Stef

Jquery is great. So is Rico, Scriptaculous, EXTjs and so on. I have a
webpage that does Ajax push here at my office, it is a price monitor and
when a price changes the HTML is updated only for that price that
changed within a couple of milliseconds and the server initiates the
update. The client does not poll the server. However... the page size is
substantially bigger and server overhead ramps up with amount of users.
These toolkits can be  of great use but we need to make sure our HTML
remains as lightweight as possible. I want the UI to be up and running
when the rest of the data centre is going up in flames... not that Xymon
will help with a real fire.

Once we get the HTML complaint with standards we can start to play with
added functionality. Your idea is great for those big log files though
and we will need to seriously look at this functionality for bigger
result sets. One of the features I like in Jquery is that it allows you
to treat HTML table data as a local record set which allows you to sort,
search filter and go mad on the page. To get that into Xymon at this
stage will require a bit of rework around the way the GUI get generated
and I don't think right now it will be a priority, our strategy we will
be to focus on the bug list and getting a new release out as soon as
possible.  Once we get the problems ironed out(and there is not a major
load of bugs) we can move onto the user experience, eye candy and so on.

The input from the users are invaluable for me as my experience of Xymon
is probably very small compared to some of the BIG boys on the list. So
thanks for all the input guys/gals it is going to go far.

Regards
Neil