[hobbit] Multi-rrd graphs

W.J.M. Nelis Wim.Nelis at nlr.nl
Tue Jul 6 14:07:44 CEST 2010

Hello Vernon,

> OK, I am probably pushing the envelope here, but maybe it's possible.
>
> Lets assume I am collecting data about some disks.
> Or maybe we don't assume. I am doing it.
> As data, I am collecting
>     % Cache hits
>     % Reads
>     % Writes
> Using split NCV, I get a bunch of files.
> cache,vol01.rrd
> cache,vol02.rrd
> cache,vol03.rrd
> cache,vol04.rrd
> read,vol01.rrd
> read,vol02.rrd
> read,vol03.rrd
> read,vol04.rrd
> write,vol01.rrd
> write,vol02.rrd
> write,vol03.rrd
> write,vol04.rrd
>
> Using the standard graph definitions, I can get all the cache values
> on one graph, all the read values on another etc. etc.
> Is there a way to group them by the volume name?
> So I end up with a graph of cache, read and write for vol1 on one graph.
> The cache, read and write for vol1 on another etc. etc.
>
> Of course, in reality, I have far more than vol01-04, and they are not
> all volXX either, so hard coding the hobbitgraph.cfg entry isn't an
> option.
>
> Possible?

In a somewhat similar case (statistics of all DHCP adress-pools) a
solution was build using the following components:
  . A client-side script which collects the data and sends is using NCV
and a naming convention. The names used in the NCV section are
"<File>/<Dataset>". All variables with the same <File> end up in the
same RRD.
  . Using parameters extra-tests and extra-script in the hobbitchannel
command to divert the data stream to a script. This script will use
<File> to generate the name of the RRD and update the supplied <Dataset>.
  . Using GRAPHS="...,test::1" to have Xymon generate the correct number
of graphs.
  . Using a small script in the graph definition to generate the title of
the graph from the RRD file name.

HTH,
   Wim Nelis.