Roadmap? Devmon & xymon (was Re: [hobbit] Re: [Hobbitmon-developer] Xymon is practically dead)

Daniel McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Jul 2 14:25:32 CEST 2010

On 7/2/10 5:53 AM, "Vernon Everett" <everett.vernon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the subject of a roadmap/plan
>
> Was there ever a plan to merge/integrate the source for Xymon and
> Devmon, or did I dream it?

I think you dreamed it.  I am not able to use devmon because it doesn't
support snmp v3.  Devmon is written in perl and uses the SNMP_utils
libraries originally distributed with MRTG, while MRTG now also distributed
the Net_SNMP-utils libraries that do support snmp v3.  Henrik discussed snmp
support using the Net SNMP C libraries that would support snmp v3.

> If there was ever such a plan, is it still on the cards?
> If I did dream it, is it a possibility?

It would mean a complete rewrite for devmon to integrate it properly and
cleanly.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281