Alerting rules - covering 24h interval.

Kii NODA kii.noda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 21:59:58 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

To answer my own question, in short: "TIME=*:2300:0759" is equivalent to
"TIME=*:2300:2400,*:0000:0759" and thus solves our problem. Xymon is indeed
a fine and well-thought piece of software.

Expanded explanation: While RTFM-ing 'man bb-hosts' and 'man
hobbit-alerts.cfg' I could find out that the time format of the alerts has
the same format as DOWNTIME has in bb-hosts which in turn has the same
format as NKTIME. Even more, NKTIME is explicitly allowing the following:

--- cut here ---
The interval between starttime and endtime may cross midnight, e.g.
*:2330:0200 would be valid and have the same effect as
*:2330:2400,*:0000:0200.
--- and here ---

Sorry for the noise, thought I'd mention my findings for future reference.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Kii NODA <kii.noda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> In our journey towards completely and successfully deploying Xymon on our
> machines we've come over this situation: we want to have an alert coming to
> us if the duration is over 30 minutes between 0800 and 2259 AND every 60
> minutes between 2300 and 0759 the next day. They need to be repeated every
> 120 minutes in both cases.
>
> 1. Would the following set of rules work given a setting like
> "TIME=*:2300:0759"?
> --- cut here ---
>         MAIL email at recipient.tld DURATION>30 REPEAT=120 RECOVERED NOTICE
> TIME=*:0800:2259