LIFETIME, purple statuses & check intervals

Kii NODA kii.noda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:25:00 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

We're in the process of moving away from Zabbix and have been considering
Xymon/Hobbit for this move. We do, however, have a few things we need to
clear up.

We've been deployng Hobbig on a Debian Lenny box and have a few Debian
(Sarge, Etch, Lenny) and a few Fedora clients. We are, at this point,
wondering about the reasons behind having a LIFETIME of 30 minutes for
checks. The way we see things, we'd rather have this as 6 minutes
considering a 5 minute interval for the checks. Can anyone please explain
why this has been setup as such and if/how this can be changed? Been going
through /etc/hobbit files, read man pages and exercised our Google-Fu but
could not come up with a solution.

Also, could someone please suggest a reason for not moving interval checks
to lower values, such as 1 minute? Zabbix has been spoiling us with very
small check intervals, giving us the feeling of staying on top of things.

Thank you very much in advance,
--
kN