[xymon] Customisation and Migration from BB->Xymon

Tim McCloskey tm at freedom.com
Wed Dec 22 17:41:33 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm sure that others will chime in with more detail... It's been years since I migrated from BB (and later from Tivoli hosts).

 * Is there a way of displaying all currently RED or PURPLE (no Yellow) alerts without playing with the source? *

The 'all non green views' will show red, yellow, purple and blue (yes, I read the question:).  Maybe ops can be trained to ignore yellow and blue?  Outside of the display you can configure email/pager alerts that fit any need.  Sadly, I've not given critical hosts much airtime.

* Is there a simple way to still have "unregistered" hosts show up in the "bb2" page? *

These show up in the 'Ghosts' report.  As an admin it's a good idea to have a look at that tab once in a while.  Sometimes hostnames don't match up exactly, and sometimes folks do as you describe and install  / start the client software without informing the admin.

As for migration, if you can start with a new server and just setup your bb-hosts file from the old system, starting with 'conn' only you can slowly add client software to point to the new system.  I found it easier and more explanatory to users/admins to divide the display-views-grouping/bb-hostsfiles based on some criteria (eg. Solaris vs Windows, location a vs location b, webserver vs mailserver, etc.)  Splitting bb-hosts into inluded files worked well for me.

Most likely there is a simple way to setup client/server comms on some port other than 1984 -- keeping the current production bb running on 1984 until you are satisfied with the new Xymon implementation (for a group of hosts).

Good Luck.

Tim