[xymon] Building the client on Mac OS X 10.6 -> success

Elmar Heeb heeb at phys.ethz.ch
Wed Dec 15 12:44:19 CET 2010

On 12/15/2010 10:10 AM, François Claire wrote:
>> I tried to compile the xymon client on Mac OS X 10.6 and ran into the
>> same problem that was reported about a year ago[1].
>
> You may already know it but Xymon is available for Mac OS X through the
> macports project:
> http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=xymon
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SetupXymonServer
>
> It simplifies the compilation/install process.

I have seen your mail about the macports but I didn't want to install
macports just to monitor some Mac clients.

>> Unfortunately, the default behaviour for the Mac HFS+ file system is
>> to ignore case so the two files get mixed up. The solution to this is
>> fairly simple. Just drop the -I. from the CFLAGS options. Having -I.
>> should not be necessary anyway because the preprocessor differentiates
>> between #include <file.h> and #include "file.h" precisely to separate
>> system includes from project includes.
> Indeed, I hit this problem and used the following patch:
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/net/xymon/files/patch-build-Makefile.rules.diff

I didn't specifically look into your patches at the time and naively
assumed that anything that would fix a problem was integrated into the
most current version.  Or rather, anything missing from the current
trunk needed a patch anyway.

Anyway, your patch and mine agree on this point and I would consider it
safe to apply.  It will be up to Henrik though to make that decision.

>> Once this problem is solved, there are two more problems that will
>> arise. The first one would be the same on all platforms whenever xymon
>> is built without SSL support (not needed on the client). In
>> lib/sendmsg.c TALK_SSLWRITE_RECEIVE will be referenced even though the
>> enum only goes up to TALK_RECEIVE when HAVE_OPENSSL is not defined.
>>
>> The second problem ist with the zlib where the dynamic library for Mac
>> OS X is in /usr/lib/libz.dylib which does not get search.
>
> I didn't encounter those 2 problems. Strange.

They are not entirely Mac related but will pop up whenever either the
SSL or zlib are not found.  With macports you may have enough
infrastructure that it detects both and the compile goes through like on
other systems with SSL and zlib.

If SSL or zlib are missing (or not found) then the code does not
compile.  As I do not consider SSL to be important for the client, I
decided to fix the code.  On a server I would recomment using your
macports package anyway.

For the zlib support I wanted to have that on the client too, so I fixed
the detection for the case of a standard Mac OS X installation with the
current Xcode, but without macports.  The case without zlib still looks
broken to me but I cannot rule out that it is a Mac specific thing with
the detection script (it finds the include files but not the library and
complains at the link step).

>> The attached patch fixes all three problems and the Mac OS X client
>> builds successfully.
>
> I guess Henrik will have a look at them.
>
> By the way, this patch should be useful for you:
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/net/xymon/files/patch-client-xymonclient-darwin.sh.diff
>
> It fixes the problem of CPU usage reported by Mac OS X xymon clients.

Thank you.  That will certainly help.

>> Hope this helps.
>
> Sure it does. While you're here, could you please help me with a problem
> I couldn't solve so far: on a Mac OS X Xymon server I have the
> showgraph.cgi eating up all the CPU when I access xymon webpages
> containing graphs. ->
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=26609049
>
> Are you running a xymon server on Mac OS X ? If yes, do you have the
> same problem with graph generation ?

We are running our server on Debian/Linux with the Debian package.  I
haven't looked at the xymon-server on the  Mac at all, so I'm sorry I
cannot provide useful input to this problem at this time.  It could have
something to do with rrdtool which I don't have installed on the client
either.

Regards,     -- Elamr

--
Dr. Elmar S. Heeb <heeb at phys.ethz.ch>   support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT D 19               voice: +41 44 633 25 91