[xymon] Feature: Grouped Non-green view

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Dec 8 12:22:51 CET 2010

In <4CFF6643.1060308 at free.fr> Francois Claire <fclaire at free.fr> writes:

>Sorry but I have to reply to your mail:

Nothing to be sorry for! This list is (also) for discussing how
to improve Xymon.

>Le 08/12/10 08:32, Henrik St??rner a écrit :
>> The nongreen page ("bb2" in the older versions) is a bad idea,
>> in my opinion. Trying to fit every non-green status into one single
>> page might work if you have a very small setup, but it just
>> doesn't work at the datacenter level - e.g. right now I have
>> 3575 non-green statuses split over 2650 hosts. And that's a normal
>> Wednesday morning. I stopped generating the nongreen page a long
>> time ago.

>In my opinion the non green page is the best feature of xymon :-)

It's obvious that there are many ways of using Xymon, and I
should not try to judge one way as "better" than others. That
certainly was not my intention. I was merely responding to a
request for enhancing the current nongreen page, and in my
opinion that should be done differently.

I have no intention of removing the nongreen page - the code is
there, it works, and to some Xymon users it is really useful.
For others - myself included - it is useless because it is
too crowded.

[snip description of a well-run setup]

>In the end having a monitoring system with such a constraint implies
>good IT work rules and the service benefits from that. We're monitoring
>a quite large network and guess what: our nongreen view is most of the
>time green !  :-)
>When it goes red the guys are reacting fast because they know it's serious.

I'd wish I could do that, but it is just not possible for me. So
different environments means different needs.

>> So there are no enhancements planned for the nongreen page.

>Fine. Keep it like this it's perfect.

>> If anything, I would like the static HTML pages (those
>> generated by xymoongen / bbgen) to entirely disappear and be
>> replaced with dynamically generated pages. Then we can start
>> discussing how to configure what they should look like, and
>> in the end we may end up with something that you can configure
>> to work the way you describe :-)

>Maybe you could do both: keep the static pages and add dynamically
>generated pages ?

Sure, there are no plans to remove the nongreen page. But I'd like
to do enhancements elsewhere.