BB to the latest Xymon - Input Wanted

bb at buglecreek.com bb at buglecreek.com
Tue Dec 7 21:31:50 CET 2010

Our organization if currently trying to decide which direction to go for
our new monitoring system (Xymon, Nagios, Zabbix or other open source
products).  We have been using BB for several years and have found it
adaquate for our needs, but it has some drawbacks that we want to
rectify (graphing, snmp for routers and switches etc).

I set up a small test site some time ago with Xymon 4.2.3 and used some
of our custom BB scripts with it.  Everything seemed to work fine and it
seems to satisfy the graphing issue one the Xymon client gets installed
on the client systems.  It appears, at least for now that Devmon is the
best choice for SNMP with Xymon?

Part of the argument for going with Xymon is the ease in which we can
use our custom BB scripts.  Looking at the latest 4.3 Xymon version if
appears that many of the file names have changed from the 4.2.3 version
(bb-hosts, config files etc.).  All that said, here are few concerns
that have been brought up, any comments would be appreciated:

1. Can the 4.3 (future stable version) easily run our existing BB
scripts.  I know 4.2.3 can, but was curious about 4.3 and the file name
changes.  Looking at the latest BB to Xymon doc it seems that it should
be ok.  Just looking for comfirmation.

2. We like that Xymon has a nice way to monitor log files for certain
events and unauthorized ports being opened, are there any issues with
system performance when monitoring log files for a "lot" of events.  I
know a lot could mean many things, but has anyone run into performance
issues?

3. Is Devmon still the recommended way to use SNMP with Xymon?  Are
there plans to incorporate SNMP into future releases?  Some here want to
use Cacti.

4. In the test 4.2.3 server system I added some hosts in the
hobbits-clients.cfg file with some PROC, PORT (to look for unauthorized
listeners), and LOG rules.  With only a few hosts, it became apparent
that this file will become huge very quickly and somewhat unruly.  Is
there a better way to handle this?  It seems that a site with 100+ or
1000+ hosts all having an entry in the hobbits-clients.cfg on  the Xymon
server the file will be unmanageable.  Maybe I'm not doing this
correctly, since I set this test up fairly quickly?

Thanks for the input.