[xymon] TS - bb-hosts problem

Xymon User in Richmond hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Mon Aug 30 17:32:55 CEST 2010

On Mon, August 30, 2010 09:54, d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com wrote:
[SNIP]

> Error output:
>
> Host cswflex4.csw.l-3com.com appears twice in bb-hosts! This may cause
strange results

[SNIP]

>                 [root at monitorp etc]# grep -i cswflex4 bb-hosts
>
> 0.0.0.0         cswflex4.csw.L-3com.com
>
> 128.170.31.14   cswflex4.csw.L-3com.com         # conn
>
> 0.0.0.0 cswflex4.csw.l-3com.com
>
> 0.0.0.0 cswflex4.csw.l-3com.com
>
> [root at monitorp etc]#
>

> I cannot find a second entry with an IP address.
>
> I have hundreds of other servers with 0.0.0.0 entries so I cannot figure
out what is happening?

Since case isn't relevant in hostnames, I'd say the error message isn't
strictly correct:  cswflex4.csw.l-3com.com actually appears four times in
bb-hosts, not two.  As indicated by the error, this may cause strange
results.

I'm not sure what your point is about the 0.0.0.0 ip.  With no TESTIP tag,
the ip will only be used if hostname lookup fails.  And used or not used,
you have four instances of the hostname in bb-hosts, which can give
strange results.

Or maybe I'm not reading your post correctly.