TS - Separate network gathering to same display screen

d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com
Mon Aug 16 22:41:51 CEST 2010

CURRENT SYSTEM:

1.       BB collector on the FAR network.

2.       LOCAL - BBDISPLAY/collector on the internal network displaying
both the local and FAR devices in the computer room.

I have a completely separate network (FAR) that has 50 Windows hosts on
it.

It is currently running a BB server (1), that is just gathering
information about the availability of the hosts.

Pinging the hosts is all that is being done to a server on the FAR
network.

That server then sends the information to a BB server with the display
on our internal network.

NOTE:  We have a need to place windows clients on the server in the near
future.

Poking a multi-to-one hole for port 1984 + ping, etc. in the firewall is
not recommended for our environment.

Questions:

1.        Can the existing FAR BB server send its info to an Xymon
server on the internal network? And have these devices displayed on the
LOCAL xymon screen?

2.       Is there an Xymon collector that can collect the ping an client
info from the 50 servers and forward it through a single connection to
the LOCAL xymon server and screen?

I cannot retire the existing BB services until I can solve this problem.

Thanks,

Tom Schmitt

Senior IT Staff - R&D

             \ ~  ~ /