[hobbit] DNS Test - No Record Lookup

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Thu Sep 24 18:06:58 CEST 2009

David Hay Currie wrote:

> Ok, I see a lot of emails back and forth, and I think it would be good
> to summarize:
>
> 1.       Myself, as well as most of the people answering do not think
> that there is a problem with hobbit/xymon itself, but rather with it
> being able to query DNS
>
> 2.       From making point 1 clear, we know the test need to focus on
> the machine ability to resolve DNS records, and how it is set on the
> configuration for xymon
>
> 3.       We don’t have information about your DNS server and resolver
> settings. This won’t matter much except for a couple of exceptions
>
> a.       Windows 2003 DNS will not automatically insert linux host
> into the DNS table, so you need to create the A records and reverse
> pointers manually.
>
> b.      In windows, mainly if you have Exchange running it is
> recommended that you also have WINS running (to speed up hostname
> lookup), and so WINS is still quite common. Why am I pointing at WINS?
> Easily, it is used for query of hostnames, so now there is a
> difference into having FQDN and just hostnames in the bb-host file
>
> 4.       You can setup hosts to be monitored in the bb-host file
> either as a hostname, and IP or a FQDN. If possible I use the FQDN.
> After all, when you monitor, you want to completely monitor.
>
> a.       From this there is something I learn from experience on my
> first setup. Using hostnames works with hobbit/xymon, but I did have
> problems with some checks not working. This was 5 years ago (My first
> test was BB I think actually), but I think the problem test were dns
> and ldap
>
> Just to make examples easy, in my bb-host file I have
>
> 192.168.11.203
> server1.leisure.com                                        # dns ldap
> dhcp !ftp !smtp !http://server1.leisure.com DESCR:"server:Active
> Directory Server and Application"
>
> And if I run dig, I need to do
>
> Dig server1.leisure.com
>
> And I get the result.
>
> The dns test itself reports
>
> Service dns on server1.leisure.com is OK (up)

Since the test is built into bbtest-net, and we can't duplicate the
problem, and if the person with the issue is sure that a dig on the
server name does work, maybe it's an issue with either the build of
bbtest-net, or with your bb-services file.

Is there any chance you have added a section [dns] to your
etc/bb-services file?  I can simulate your problem by adding one (OK,
but no DNS lookup output).  If so, please remove it.
-Alan