[hobbit] Questions about migrating from BB

Josh Luthman josh at imaginenetworksllc.com
Wed Sep 16 22:26:13 CEST 2009

> Next, my network machines. I don't really want to have to install
RRDTool on it. Is that really necessary? Isn't it only used for display,
or is it also needed by a machine that only does network testing? It
looks like then as far as splitting up which tests run from where, I can
use BBLOCATION and NET:$BBLOCATION, but it appears as if this is by
host, not by test. Any recommendations?

When you say "machines" you're saying it plural - you'll only have to
install it on the bbdisplay (what server you query for WWW pages).  If you
don't want rrdtool you won't have graphs - when you do the configure just
say you don't have rrdtool.  The bbproxy/net machines have no need for
rrdtool.  Graphs aren't crucial but they can most certainly help in several
cases.

I know some people have issues using NET: but you might want to read through
the archives.  From my understanding, it is by host not test as well.

> Lastly, is there any concept of escalation in xymon as there is in BB? I
wouldn't necessarily miss it, but I do currently use it. (Escalation is
that no one can acknowledge a page in such a way that will keep it from
reaching the escalated party, except that person).

Maybe look at the critical list of hosts -
http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2007/03/msg00315.html

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

"When you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains, however
improbable, must be the truth."
--- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle