[hobbit] Migration from Hobbit 4.2.0 to Xymon 4.3.0 beta 2

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Tue Sep 8 18:14:17 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 08 September 2009, Geoff Hallford wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have searched the wiki and the previous threads in the mailing list but
> haven't found what I am looking for. I need to know if there is a way to:
>
> - Migrate the configuration and the data from a Hobbit 4.2.0 server to a
> new Xymon server
>
> Since I want to upgrade the OS underneath from OpenSUSE 10.0 to OpenSUSE
> 11.1, and also the Hobbit/Xymon version, it is a little more complicated
> that an in place "make && make install".
>
> Thank you to anyone who can give suggestions. I can test out any
> suggestions.
I did some migrations.  It's not that difficult.  The config files and the stuff in
the data directory is all compatible.

So install xymon and configure a basic setup so you can check everything is
working.  For the data migration:
- stop xymon
- delete the data directory
- copy the data directory of the old server to the new server
- migrate the config files in etc: don't just copy them, but take over the stuff
that's changed.  Except for bb-hosts and hobbit-clients.cfg, I don't change
that much in the config files.
- start xymon
- point your ciients to the new monitor server.

Don't forget to change the owner of the files.  In your new setup this is
probably xymon.

Stef