[hobbit] Disk test, NFS and FTP queries

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Oct 8 23:35:59 CEST 2009

In <f06a10d50910080904sf2f6201x23d2831e3446bd2f at mail.gmail.com> Loris Serena <lserena at gmail.com> writes:

>Q1.
>Is there a way to avoid the Solaris 10 virtual filesystems
>(i.e./etc/dfs/sharetab) from being listed/graphed in the disk test?
>(possibly via conf setting on the Xymon client, rather than on the server)

The hobbitclient-sunos.sh script in ~xymon/client/bin/ does some
work to filter out the not-so-interesting filesystems. You can
tweak that shell-script to do what you want - if it makes sense
to ignore them everywhere, then please send me your modifications.

>Also, the web page shows seven filesystems, whereas the RRD graphs show nine
>of them...
>(those 7 plus /devices and /var/run). How do I get rid of them?

Delete the corresponding ~xymon/data/rrd/HOSTNAME/disk,<whatever>.rrd
files.

>Q3.
>Is there a functionality similar to the BB www/notes html files, and a
>template that matches the current xymon fonts/style?
>Or, where can I add custom info about my monitored nodes? I.e. serial
>numbers, helpdesk contacts, etc...

Xymon supports the same notes-files as BB. So just put the notes-files
in ~xymon/server/www/notes/

>Q4.
>I have had to enable ftp on one Solaris 10 box to allow it to just ftp
>itself (don't ask!), and therefore I configured  /etc/hosts.allow as
>follows:

>[actarus]$ grep ftp /etc/hosts.allow
>in.ftpd:        actarus
>[actarus]$

>Now, on the bb-hosts on the Xymon server, if I put:
>10.11.12.13  actarus        #  http://actarus/ ssh !telnet !ftp !smtp
>it gets RED, telling me that FTP is up
>and if I put
>10.11.12.13  actarus        #  http://actarus/ ssh !telnet ftp  !smtp#
>it gets YELLOW with the following message:

>Service ftp on actarus is not OK : Unexpected service response

>In fact, if I ftp actarus from the Xymon server cli, I get:

>$ ftp actarus
>Connected to actarus.boing.com.
>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
>ftp> quit
>$

>Is there a way around this?

The best way would probably be to copy the [ftp] section in the
~xymon/server/etc/bb-services file and create a new entry that
expects the "421" response - you would have to call it something
other than ftp, though.

Henrik Storner