Disk test, NFS and FTP queries

Loris Serena lserena at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 18:04:00 CEST 2009

Hello List,

I'm rather familiar with BigBrother but new to Xymon.

My Xymon server 4.2.3 runs on CentOS and my monitored nodes are a mix of
Solaris, Windows, Cisco, and NetApp hosts.

Q1.
Is there a way to avoid the Solaris 10 virtual filesystems
(i.e./etc/dfs/sharetab) from being listed/graphed in the disk test?
(possibly via conf setting on the Xymon client, rather than on the server)

Also, the web page shows seven filesystems, whereas the RRD graphs show nine
of them...
(those 7 plus /devices and /var/run). How do I get rid of them?

Q2.
I manage to monitor NFS mounted filesystems (from a NetApp filer) via an
external script from deadcat.net, but is there a way to get them show up in
the disk test/column?
This way I get to:
   a. save a column ;-)
   b. have all the filesystems shown under one roof
   c. have NFS filesystems automagically graphed

Q3.
Is there a functionality similar to the BB www/notes html files, and a
template that matches the current xymon fonts/style?
Or, where can I add custom info about my monitored nodes? I.e. serial
numbers, helpdesk contacts, etc...

Q4.
I have had to enable ftp on one Solaris 10 box to allow it to just ftp
itself (don't ask!), and therefore I configured  /etc/hosts.allow as
follows:

[actarus]$ grep ftp /etc/hosts.allow
in.ftpd:        actarus
[actarus]$

Now, on the bb-hosts on the Xymon server, if I put:
10.11.12.13  actarus        #  http://actarus/ ssh !telnet !ftp !smtp
it gets RED, telling me that FTP is up
and if I put
10.11.12.13  actarus        #  http://actarus/ ssh !telnet ftp  !smtp#
it gets YELLOW with the following message:

Service ftp on actarus is not OK : Unexpected service response

In fact, if I ftp actarus from the Xymon server cli, I get:

$ ftp actarus
Connected to actarus.boing.com.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp> quit
$

Is there a way around this?

Thank in advance for your help