Custom Purple Times

Phil Meech pmeech at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 15:07:57 CEST 2009

Hi All,

Firstly apologies if this is something I should have been able to locate on
the mailing list; I've had a quick look but nothing appeared to answer it...

I have an external test (shell script) that runs on my Xymon server (4.2.3),
and logs into device web servers and gets a segment of HTML and performs
some processing on it and sends to the xymon via the bb command.  As there
are 100 of these devices, I dont really want to be running this test every
10 minutes or so; and I also dont want to have 100 hosts going purple after
20 minutes.  I realise I could call hobbitd with the --no-purple option; but
purple is useful under many of the other tests.

Is there a way of specifying no purple status on a per test basis?
If I specify a hobbitlaunch time of greater than 20 minutes, would the test
go purple waiting for hobbitlaunch to run the external again?
Is there any other way that I could run this test once, every 4 hours and
stop it going purple?

As a last ditch resort I was considering storing the status messages
(retrieved every 4 hours ideally via the shell script) in different files
(per host) on the Xymon server and repeatedly sending this message every 10
minutes (hence preventing purple statuses).  Although this would work, it
doesnt seem a particularly clean method.

Thanks for your time,
Phil