[hobbit] ntpdate deprecated

Peter Welter peter.welter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 16:14:44 CET 2009

Hi Buchan,

Thanks for the response. I will disable the ntp-test. it's running on three
hosts and all of them report the same WARNING-output.

However, the reason I came up with this is that in our network we have some
W2K-hosts (the Domain Controllers) who have (according to Xymon) a time that
is not accurate (I'm using the CLOCK option and Xymon thinks they are
drifting too far; above threshold of 30 seconds).

I wondered: how is this determined on the Windows side? Because when we have
a look at this system, the time is correct? It looks like the time
difference between the page generation and the send time (12:38:57 -
12:37:19) = 98 seconds off (see below).

The time on the server however IS correct. I've seen it, but since the total
MSG-size for these servers is so large (a few hundreds KB to 1 or 2 MB,
because of the domain controller function, there are hundreds of open ports
- netstat output), it does take some addiotinal time for the Xymon
client/server combination, to proces?!

Can I limit this output. For example: do NOT send UDP output? That would be
a quick fix solution?
Or better: split the output in several files, since the other (netstat) info
is valuable, but it should NOT interfere with the normal functionality of
Xymon and/of its clients. So the output should be send seperately to the
server.

Regards, Peter

*Wed Nov 11 12:38:57 2009*

    Wed Nov 11 12:37:19 2009 NOT ok

[image: yellow] System clock is 98 seconds off (max 30)

UTC: Wed Nov 11 11:37:19 2009