[hobbit] Devmon setup

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Wed Nov 11 10:29:05 CET 2009

On Tuesday, 10 November 2009 23:15:19 K K wrote:
> I've been following this DEVMON guide, works fine for data collection:
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Other_Docs/HOWTO/
>Devmon_SNMP

I don't like this guide. It makes things more difficult than they need to be,
and it is outdated. I have now added a warning section covering why other
sources of documentation should be considered.

I enabled a wiki on the Devmon SF site a while back, and added some basic
information there.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/devmon

Feel free to improve it. (I think currently it requires you to log in with a
sourceforge account, if there is enough interest to warrant the effort in
avoiding spam and malicious edits, I will allow anonymous edits).

> It doesn't explain how to generate graphs for SNMP data, but it is
> enough to get you started (I'm still stuck on generating interface
> graphs).

RRD collection should work out-the-box on Xymon 4.2.3. To get graphs for the
RRD files, Just copy the extras/devmon-graph.cfg into your Xymon hobbit graph
definitions (since I have 'directory /etc/xymon/hobbitgraph.d in my
hobbitgraph.cfg, I just copy the file into /etc/xymon/hobbitgraph.d).

I will try and update the wiki accordingly.

Regards,
Buchan