Xymon 4.2.3 rrd-data.log shows xstrdup: Cannot dup NULL string

Peter Welter peter.welter at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:48:53 CEST 2009

Hello all,

Last friday may 22 at 8:20 we finished our upgrade from our
NetApp-filers (version 7.2.3 to 7.3.1.1). These filers were (and are)
monitored by Xymon in combination with the perl-netapp-client.
Combined a great combo!

However, since the upgrade I keep getting this error in
/var/log/hobbit/rrd-data.log:
2009-05-22 08:22:00 xstrdup: Cannot dup NULL string
2009-05-22 08:22:00 Worker process died with exit code 6, terminating

This error appears every 5 minutes.

Only one graph-type is not trended anymore since the upgrade, the
xtstatscolumn which deliver all statistics about each drive in the
filer. (About +/- 20 graphs). Sometimes, it does trend some data but
that is for a very short time, let's say 5 or 15 minutes. Then for
hours, nothing.

One filer has not been upgraded, but shows the same lack of trending.
But that can be caused because I have set it up with MultiThreading
(something that can be set using a parameter).

Now I will change this to 1 (for each filer a seperate process) to see
if the problem can be narrowed, so I'll update this problem later on
this weekend.

Regards,
Peter

PS I do not know if this has to do with either Xymon of netapp.pl, but
since it is integrated into the Xymon-source (hobbitd/rrd/do_netapp.c)
I think it should be posted here.