[hobbit] could not lookup DNS configuration info service: (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Thu May 28 22:14:10 CEST 2009

On 2009-May-28, at 1:24 PM, William Ottley wrote:

>         <key>Label</key>
>         <string>xymon</string>

The label should probably be something like "dk.hswn.xymon" to
guarantee uniqueness. (That's the convention used by all the existing
plists.)

>         <key>Program</key>
>         <string>/Users/xymon/client/runclient.sh</string>

I don't know for certain, but I think launchd should be replacing the
runclient.sh script, not calling on it. For instance, the script is
designed to start up the Xymon client and then exit, whereas launchd
expects the thing it started to keep running. You may have to dig into
the script to figure out what it does on a Mac and then tell launchd
to do that. (From just a quick scan, it looks like it needs to call
`hobbitlaunch` with the appropriate options for your system.)

A list of what launchd expects from the program it calls can be found
in [the man page for `launchd.plist`][1]. I don't know enough about
hobbitlaunch to tell you if it meets those requirements, but I'm
pretty sure the shell script does not based on the fact that it exits.

This might have nothing to do with the error Xymon throws, but it
would at least explain why launchd keeps restarting the script.

[1]: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man5/launchd.plist.5.html

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

The magnitude of a problem does not affect its ownership.